Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, September 10, 2012

September 10, 2012

I remember growing up, and how if my birthday was ever on a Sunday, I basically hated it because then I couldn't do anything  "fun" on my birthday, but yesterday (Sunday) was my birthday, and it was really quite enjoyable! We got to go to church twice, and did a special musical number in one of the wards, then went and ate pork ribs with a family up in midway for dinner, and then went out and taught some people in the evening. Pretty enjoyable, pretty low key, I'm satisfied.

In other news, my companion has a total of 3 days left as a missionary....it's pretty crazy seeing him pack everything up for the very last time. Kinda depressing.  As far as my new companion, as I've mentioned, we share the Spanish branch with another set of missionaries (Elder Butler and Elder Lopez). Well, Elder Lopez will now be my new companion! He's coming all the way down the street....about a 5 minute walk :P should be pretty exciting! Him and I actually came out of the MTC at the same time, but he was only in the MTC for about 3 weeks, so he'll finish up his mission at the beginning of December. He's from Guatemala too which is pretty exciting! That means that I will have had companions from 10 different countries, and a total of 15 companions! Canada, Chile, Mexico, USA, El Salvador, Panama, Puerto Rico, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Guatemala.  WOW.

Unfortunately, only 1 investigator came to church for my birthday, out of the 8 or so that told me they would come...but that's alright. Maybe this will make them feel bad about not coming for my birthday and they'll finally act and start reading, praying, and coming to church. It's incredible how many people just will not do the simple things, and it's incredible to see how the people who DO the little things, really see much bigger changes in their lives.

BTW, favorite scripture of the month: 2 Nephi 4:27-28 (I like it more in Spanish for some reason.)
27: And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh?  Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?  Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28: Awake, my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

Apart from that, we've been teaching some new people, and things are going pretty well. We're teaching a man named Julio Chavez. Him and his daughter are pretty incredible. The mother isn't really that interested, but she is cordial towards us at least. We were also able to get the Daily Dose missionaries (They teach English to people for free in their homes) so there should be some good stuff coming from that! He's very accepting and really thinks through things, and comes to conclusions on his own. It's really nice to not have to put words in people's mouth when they really just aren't paying attention, or have no individual thought.

It any case, actions are important. Act, act, act, act, act! Interesting thought for the day. It's way too much to really go in to, but I'll say it anyways. The word Grace in the new testament comes from the word "hesed" in Greek. This word implies "Love based on a covenant relationship" aka, God loves us, and more importantly blesses us, based on the covenants we have made with him.   For example, a husband and a wife have a covenant relationship. They covenanted to each other, became husband and wife, and they love each other based on that covenant that they have made.   When they have a child, their love for each other increases, because they have expanded that covenant, and made a new covenant to work together for the well-being of said child.  It is the same with us and God. Many people think that we are saved by GRACE alone, and that there are no works involved, but if we look at Grace in this view, as love based on a covenant relationship (As I believe it should be) then we actually do need to act. We desperately NEED to make covenants such as baptism by someone holding the authority, and other covenants, so that God can pour out his love even more abundantly upon us.  Hopefully someone gets what I'm trying to say, and finds this interesting.

Bueno pues!
Love to all!
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment