Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012


This last Monday after sending off my weekly email, we went to go do our laundry. While we were sitting there waiting, a lady walked in and started to do her laundry as well (We don't have a washer or dryer in our apartment so we have to go do it all at the Laundromat) Anyways, I started talking with the lady, and found out that she was a very very very devout christian who thought she knew the scriptures. Needless to say, after a 20 minute conversation with her about the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and various other religious topics, she was quite convinced that she needed to go study the Bible some more, because we had asked her a bunch of questions that based on her knowledge and religion she had absolutely no idea how to answer.  It really is amazing how many things there are in the Bible that support the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As well as with all that, it all just makes sense, and when people from other religions realize that, I think it scares them.  Unfortunately she lives in Colorado so we weren't about to set up a return appointment.  It honestly blows me away that my companion and I, some measly 20 year old boys, can have a full on gospel discussion with 40 year olds, 60 year olds, pastors, anybody, and that we can completely edify our doctrinal points, and show people who have studied probably a lot more than us where the truth actually lies. That alone, is a testimony to me that what I'm doing is correct.   I've really been humbled a lot lately. I'm really beginning to understand what the prophets mean when they say "I know that I am nothing."  One of the hardest things for me to give up to come out here on my mission was my pride. God keeps scraping it away from me piece by piece, and hopefully it's almost gone, because I'm not sure there's much more to scrape off.  I've had so many incredible experiences so far, and it is quite apparent that none of it has been my own doing. Every Experience I've had so far, has been the hand of God. That's the only way any of this could happen.  It's incredible how many hard-hearted people there are in the world currently. I don't understand how people think that they can just go do whatever they want, not read the scriptures, not pray, and then when we stop by all of a sudden they feel justified to say "Yeah, God and I are best friends, I think about him all the time..."  Something else, there are a TON of people use "OMG" in both English and Spanish. That's always annoyed me when people say that, because to me it's a direct mis-usage of God's name, taking his name in vain. Lately whenever people have said that (especially in Spanish) I've been trying to make an effort to correct it, and the first time I tried to do that, the offender said "Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it. Every time I say that I'm just remembering God, by using his name."  I'm not sure I've ever heard a more perverted excuse to break a commandment (aka, #3 of the big 10). Nevertheless, for every 10 people here that drive me crazy, we always find at least 1 that makes up for all of the rest.  This last Saturday, we were out knocking some doors, and after talking to a bunch of people who were just annoying me with their sanctimonious ignorance (not to mention the little dog that was chasing us around the neighborhood barking at us incessantly), we knocked the door or a less-active lady from the Spanish ward named Carmen. We started to talk with her, and found out that she generally works on Sundays at the hospital and hence can't come to church very often, but that she wasn't going to be working the following day (SUNDAY!) The only issue was that she is in the process of moving to another part of Heber, and wanted to use the day (Sunday) to clean the house, box stuff up, and just get ready in general, and wasn't going to come to church for that. So we told her: "Ok, we're coming in RIGHT NOW, and we're going to help you get everything done, so that tomorrow you can come to church! Deal?" She agreed.  We went in and helped her for about an hour and a half, she gave us a watermelon (I LOVE WATERMELON) and we were on our way.  The next morning, SHE WAS AT CHURCH! :D I love it when people use their agency to do good things! In any case, things are a bit rough right now in this area, but it's slowly picking up. The work shall go forth! 

Love to all!
Elder Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment