Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012

God is a God of miracles, and that God loves me :D  This was evidenced by the happenings of this last week.  So as you all know, I've been put in a biking area, aka, no car for the first time in my mission.  Well, last Monday after I sent off my weekly email, we got a phone call from the mission office telling us that we were going to be getting a new missionary, and that we needed to prepare the apartment and everything. Well, we got everything figured out, and went on Tuesday to the mission office to meet the new missionary (straight out of the MTC!!).  Lately I've been giving the office staff and the AP's a hard time (just jokingly) about giving me a car in my new area, but I never thought anything would come out of it.  Well, When we got there, Elder Langford (The vehicle coordinator) came up to me and said "you're never going to believe me, but follow me)  He took me out to the parking lot, stopped next to a Toyota Corola, handed me the keys and said: "Here's your new car."  Needless to say, I was dumbfounded.  The new missionary we got had surgery on his arm, and can't ride a bike because of it, so it turns out that we get to have a car!.....(Until his arm gets better and he leaves to Mexico at which time the car gets taken away and we're on bikes again, but we don't think about that).  It was a pretty good moment.  Our new missionary is named Elder Noriega.  He's been out in the mission field for about 6-7 days now, and he's pretty pumped for the work.  Even better, we've got a lot of people getting baptized this next weekend, so he gets to see how exciting things really are.

Other miracles: the mom of one of our investigating families ad a pretty incredible experience with the Book of Mormon this last week. She was sitting in the car waiting for one of her daughters (She dropped her off, and didn't want to waste the gas to go home, and come back so she just stayed there for about an hour or so) and she had pretty much nothing to do while she waited.  Then she saw a copy of the book of Mormon sitting in the back seat, and retrieved it.  She said that she'd never really had much interest in it, never really understood any of it, and pretty much just fell asleep every time she read it, but this time she just randomly opened the book and started to read.  Once she started, she couldn't stop.  The things she was reading applied 100% to her. She felt as if Nephi (The prophet who wrote that section of the Book of Mormon) was speaking directly to her.  She said she began to get an incredible feeling that started in her chest, and spread out to her entire body.  Suddenly she realized that she was crying uncontrollably.  She had received her testimony of the Book of Mormon. She shared the part that she had read with us, and started crying again (as did we...). It was incredible to see how applicable the Book of Mormon is to the lives of EVERYONE.  Read it, Pray about it, Know that it's true. It'll change your life as well, I promise.

So one of our investigators had a birthday this last week, so we decided to make her fudge. Not only did we make her fudge, but we wrote:  "Feliz Cumpleanos Veronica" in fudge. Needless to say, she loved it :D

If you've never eaten Chilaquiles, do it. They're incredible. 

Another interesting experience: I had someone try to convince me that I needed to try beer. It all started with him asking if Mormons could drink beer. I told him "Nope" and he said something along the lines of "that's stupid".  From then on we had a pretty exciting conversation.  It got even better when I told him that I've never tasted beer in my entire life, and that I had no intention, or attraction at all to doing things like that.  He continued saying things like "you have to try it," and I continued saying: "But that's stupid" It was interesting, because the more he tried to persuade me, the more he realized how empty his arguments were.  He wouldn't give in, but he realized that what he was trying was 100% fruitless, and gave up.  It saddened me to see how tightly some people are enveloped in the things of the world.  If only he could get his mind past all the pot, alcohol, shrooms, and other stuff he was talking about, and really see the happiness and jay that life has to offer.

The gospel is here to make us happy. If you're not happy, it's because you don't understand the gospel, or aren't applying it correctly through living the precepts that it implies.

Last funny story.  On Sunday, we were in a couple of different correlations, and 5 times, my mind completely blanked on words in English.  It was really strange.  It's not the first time that it's happened, but it's definitely happening more and more often.  Exciting stuff.

Love to all!
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment