Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, February 20, 2012

February 20, 2012

This week has been a roller coaster. On Wednesday I had to move all of my stuff over to my new apartment about 5 miles down the road.  It's a lot bigger which is definitely a nice thing, but I still haven't really had time to unpack, so it doesn't really matter.  It's nice to have your own kitchen, and not have to study in your bedroom though.  My new companions are pretty awesome. Elder Clark is from Florida, and always talks about how incredible Florida oranges are (Probably like me and how I always talk about Shuckstons Strawberries from Oregon).  He's been out for about 19 months, and we get along really well. He's basically just a solid missionary who knows how to do everything basically just the way it's supposed to be done.  Elder Datwyler is from Logan Utah, and is waiting for his Visa to go to the Barcelona Spain mission. He's a pretty fun guy, and really enjoys being a missionary. He speaks really good spanish too for only being out in the mission field for about a month.  Unfortunately, he's getting moved about a half mile down to road to another area tomorrow.

So just this morning we had a pretty incredible experience with a lady named Cathy. She just moved in with her family from Mexico. They all lived here before, but then they decided to go back for a couple years, and now they're here again trying to do the best they can. She is really quite a remarkable lady. I don't know her very well, but she is incredibly nice, and incredibly accepting of the gospel truths.  We were talking to her this morning with another sister from the ward (Sister Castillo) and even though the missionaries have only really been teaching her for about a week, she told us that she believes that it is all true, that she feels it in her heart, and she's going to read 2 Nephi 31, and pray about it to know basically when she should get baptized.  She really wants this for her family. Her husband currently isn't all that accepting of the gospel (From any religion), but she knows that she has to set the example, and she has faith that if she does, that God will soften his heart to follow along in the path.

Belia and Andres got married and baptized this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy!  Brother Dallin came to my current area and picked me up, and then we went. It was incredible to see all of the people from that ward again. I'd only been transferred for about 2 days, but it felt like it had been months since the last time I had gone.  I was taking pictures all over the place, smiling like I had never smiled before, and just basically extremely happy.  It's incredible how happy being a missionary can make you.  I'm pretty sure I haven't had a sad moment in a long time.  Of course there are a lot of extremely stressful moments, but I've been sincerely happy for quite a while now.  It's truly incredible how much you can come to love people in such a short time knowing them.  As missionaries we pray for people, study for them, visit them, share experiences with them, tell jokes, it's basically like they're your own family.  I feel extremely blessed with the people I have gotten to know up until this point, and I can't wait to find even more incredible Latinos here in Utah.

Every day my mind is basically blown that I can speak and understand Spanish.  I had an experience that was pretty interesting a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if I've already shared it, but here we go: This Mexican lady was telling us a story, and I'm pretty sure that she doesn't speak English that well.  Well, she was talking, and I started to think "Wait?! I thought this lady didn't speak English"  and then I realized that she was speaking Spanish, and I was just understanding everything completely.  That was a pretty mind-blowing moment.  It seems like every day more and more I'm forgetting English.  Fun stuff.

anyways, I gotta go, but I want to testify of the power of God. I've seen soooo many miracles here on my mission. People who didn't believe in God, who when they truly developed the desire to know, asked him if he was there, and they received their answer.  Incredible stuff.

Love to all!
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment