Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011

This week has been pretty average. It seems like the sick bug is going around a little bit. a couple of the sisters in my district are a bit under the weather, and one of my companions and I are having a little bit of trouble as well, but it's not enough to keep us from really working.  We've been trying something new in our district, and in our Zone as well. As a district we decided that we need to be always focusing on finding new people to teach, as well as teaching those that we already have, so we've decided to start measuring how many new people we talk to every day. We've got a district goal that every companionship will talk to at least 10 new people every single day. That probably doesn't sound like a lot, but it really makes you notice how many opportunities pass your way without you even noticing.  Also, since we're here in Utah, another ZONE goal that the zone leaders have made, is to make at least 5 of those 10 new contacts be non-members. That is surprisingly difficult to do here in Utah. We can go knock doors for an hour or two, and we'll probably talk to 10-ish new people, but only 1 or two of them will probably be non-members.  It's been pretty cool to see some of the blessings that have come from really putting ourselves out there and trying our best to talk with everyone who passes our way.  If anything, it also is helping me come out of my shell a little bit.  I absolutely despise awkward situations, and I'm becoming to realize that it's actually not too hard to talk to people about the gospel  without making it awkward.
 
This next week, our district is about to change drastically!  My companion finally has his Visa, and is heading out to Argentina on Thursday morning. Also, there's another missionary here who started his mission in South Africa, got a head injury, had to come back, and has been serving here while he gets everything cleared to head back out. He can't go back to South Africa though, it's too much money to send him there again. I think it costs about $3,000? Something like that.  Well, he now has his reassignment to the Omaha Nebraska mission, and he leaves tomorrow I think. Besides that, there's also a sister missionary here who has been serving for about 20 months. She served in the Pocatello (sp?) mission, and needed surgery. She lives in Burma, so they decided it would be better for her to get the surgery now before she goes back to her country, so she's been waiting on that to happen, and it looks like it's finally going to happen this week. Needless to say, our district is going to change substantially.
 
Just a couple more cool things before I have to go: This next Sunday, Bishop Burton (The presiding bishop) is going to come here to Payson, and he's going to do a special 1 hour thing for investigators, and new converts!  I'm definitely pretty dang excited for that!
 
Besides that, we've been trying really hard to find new people to teach, and haven't really been having all that much success, but this Sunday, we had 4 non-members who we've never seen before in our lives just randomly show up to church yesterday!  It's insane. It's like people are just coming up to us and asking to be baptized.  These are some pretty unforgettable experiences I've been living lately. I can't imagine how boring my life would be if I'd never come out on my mission.
 
Another thing of note, I've lately been thinking about studying linguistics when I get back from my mission. I want to be able to read, speak, and write English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, Greek, and maybe even a few other random languages. We'll see. Maybe I'll even take on Japanese or Chinese someday! It's really interesting how the mission can completely change your point of view.
 
Love to all
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment