Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 27, 2011

This week was definitely an interesting one. To start off, we got home on Saturday night, and realized that our car was completely out of gas, AKA, we rode around all day Sunday on our bicycles. Once again, my bike is most definitely too small for me, but I find it hilarious. Anyways, we were riding down the street, and all of a sudden a car goes by. A girl stuck her head out the window and yelled F*** JESUS! That made me pretty mad. Seriously, I don't care if people try to tear me apart piece by piece, but when they're ignorant enough to just say something like that, I got really disappointed.

Besides that, this week went pretty awesomely! We had a pretty awesome experience fasting with one of our investigators, and she finally made the decision to get baptized after listening to the missionaries for 8 years!!! EIGHT YEARS! It pretty much blew my mind.  Besides that, we were able to meet a BUNCH of new people this week, and we're very hopeful that some of them will turn out to have a real desire to listen to what we're saying.

I've noticed something pretty incredible while I've been out here on my mission, especially lately. When we go out talking to people, and knocking doors, when the people first answer the door, you can tell that they're kinda annoyed that we're there, but then after about 15-20 seconds, a lot of people change completely. I'm not sure really what it is, but I've noticed it a LOT. They say "Well there are many rivers that flow to the same ocean" meaning that they believe that as long as you believe in God, you are saved, but after we start to talk a little bit about prophets, and how Jesus was baptized specifically by John the Baptist, and how Jesus started his church in the middle of all the other churches, and a lot of other things, people really begin to realize that "Wow, these guys just might be right." and then they let us schedule a return appointment.  We even had a guy this week who told us "Don't waste your time on me, I'm Catholic, my family is Catholic, we're not worth your time." We told him, "Do you know what we do as missionaries? We talk about Jesus Christ, and more specifically we 'Invite others to come unto Christ' This is what we do as missionaries. As long as we're talking about Jesus Christ with you, it is not a waste of our time at all. When can we come back?" and we got a return appointment.  I've really learned this week that almost everybody is willing to listen deep down, you just have to find that desire within them. Up until this last week I've been really lenient with people and if they said "Don't waste your time on me" I would reply, "Ok, have a great day" and we'd leave, but it's incredible what can happen if you just TALK to people. It's incredible!

Final story for the day. I'm not sure if I already told this story, but if so, too bad. Here it is: We were out knocking doors, and an older lady answered the door, and told us she wasn't interested in talking to us at all.  We asked here if we could share a message about Jesus Christ with here, and she said "Not with your philosophies!" and shut the door. I think she gave me and my companion wayyy too much credit. There is noooo way I would ever be able to come up with a "philosophy" as good as the one we're sharing. We were quite grateful at how much credit she gave us though.  Hopefully somebody else finds this at least a little bit funny. If not, o well, I tried.

Have a great week!
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment