Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday, January 10, 2011 Email

Good afternoon everyone, I hope life is going well, and if it's not, then do something about it. Life is too short to mope around, and it's so much more fun to be happy anyways. Alright, that's enough advice, now to talk about my life! This week was pretty freakin awesome. We baptized a family who has an incredible story. They've been taught by the missionaries for YEARS, and we were finally able to get them to get down on their knees and pray, and guess what?! They got their answers that the church is true! We didn't really plan how it would all work out, and I don't think we could have planned it out as well as it went, but it basically ended up that every time we would go over there, a different member of the family would be home, and we would have a super spiritual lesson with them, and then later that day we would come back and a different member of the family would be home and we'd have a super spiritual lesson with them, and then we'd show up some other times and they would all be there together and we'd get them to tell each other the things that they had felt, and the things that they had learned. It was all pretty freaking incredible!  Right now, we're working to find more people. We kinda slacked on that for the last couple weeks, because we've been teaching so much. I don't really feel bad about it because we were using all of our time wisely, but now we've got the problem that we're baptizing our whole teaching pool and soon we'll have nobody left to teach! We'll figure it out though.  Fun stuff.  I'm not really sure what else to say. The work is going great, I love the opportunity to dive in to the scriptures every single day, and I love the opportunity to be a part of people's lives, and to see the changes they make. I've been so humbled to be a part of this. The way that people look at me is so different than I ever expected to be looked at. Their faces seem to be searching, and they look at me as if I have all the answers, and that we're the only place they can go to get their answers. I love telling them that there's hope in this life; that they have a purpose here, and that God loves them.

Ahh, one last funny thing from this week. So I'm getting better at Spanish, to the point that I can understand a lot of what's going on, and I can interject with my ideas and commentaries a lot. Now this causes a little bit of a problem, because every time that I say something to someone in Spanish, they think that means that I'm fluent or something, and they start to talk a little bit faster. As soon as I understand what they're talking about and reply again, they talk just a little bit faster. This pattern continues until they reach maximum speed (Except for Puerto Ricans, I don't think they have a maximum speed) and I basically get lost in the dust and have no idea what's going on.  I think the best analogy I can use to describe this would be to say that it's a lot like Tetris. Sometimes you just fail miserably right off at level one (usually people just start speaking to me in English when this happens) but other times I'm successful and get up to level ten, and I can stay there for a little while, but there inevitably comes a point where I have absolutely no idea what's going on and all I can do is stand there and say "que? "cual?" "repite por favor" "otra vez" "No tengo una idea de que esta hablando"

Anyways, the work goes well, the Spanish goes well, and I'm loving every minute of it!  If you're thinking of going on a mission, then do it. You'll never regret it, especially if you commit to yourself that you'll give it your all and never regret it.

Con mucho amor, como siempre,
Elder Williams!

No comments:

Post a Comment