Tommy's Release Date

Since you asked, Tommy will be returning to Beaverton on October 25, 2012.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11-17-10

Hola!
I have been here for almost a month! This is craziness! Anyways, for those of you who have any idea about missions, My companion and I got called as zone leaders this week. That's basically the highest up you can get in leadership in the MTC. It's pretty darn exciting. haha. I find it somewhat hilarious that I'm younger than most of the new missionaries that are coming in, and yet they think I'm super old. It definitely makes me laugh just a bit.  Time is definitely flying here at the MTC. It seems like just yesterday that I got here. It's also weird to think that I only have 23 months left. My spanish is coming along pretty well, and I learned a pretty awesome thing today. One way to say "Shower" is "Aqua cero" which directly translates to "Sudden fall of rain" or something like that. Anyways, I don't really have all that much to write today, so I'll just ramble a bit and hope that somebody gets something out of this:
 
One of the things that my companion and I enjoy doing is what we call "Noob hunting" Basically what this constitutes of is going up to a bunch of new missionaries and then just going off in spanish. It's really awesome to see their faces. And then we explain to them that they will be able to do that pretty soon, and it's fun to see the hope come back into their eyes.  HOWEVER, occasionally, we run in to someone who is already fluent in spanish, and they totally dominate us at spanish. Moments like that are pretty awesome.
 
It is SOOO easy to learn here. I've always been pretty decent at learning things quickly, but here at the MTC (as I've said before) it's even more ridiculous! The other day I sat down for 10 minutes, and learned 20 new words in spanish! I still remember all but like 1 of them, and a few days ago I learned 70 words in one day, and then another 52 the day after that.  I didn't think I'd learned that many, but then I went and counted up all the words and realized I'd learned like 120 in 2 days.
 
The scriptures are becoming my friends. There is some pretty ridiculously awesome stuff in the scriptures. For example, look up D&C 131 (the last two verses especially), 3 Ne 11 is exceptionally good as well, and I've quite enjoyed reading through Helaman again. It's incredible how applicable the scriptures are to every single situation. If you were to ask me for advice right now I would most likely just answer with a scripture and make you figure it out yourself :P. 
 
Right now, I've had to focus a lot on patience. The spanish is coming, and it's coming quickly, but it seems like it should be coming faster. I'm doing pretty much everything I can, but it's taking time. When I look back to where I was at a month ago and realize that I didn't know hardly any spanish at all, and now I can almost teach lessons in spanish, it's kinda rediculous, but I want to be fluent NOW. Unfortunately I have to wait, and work. In addition to that, I realized that I can't pray very well in english any more. I have to think REALLY HARD to get any cognicent thoughts to come out in english, and it really throws me off anytime I have to hear a prayer in english. Spanish is so much cooler!
 
Well, I'm about out of stuff to say for now. I'll make sure to have some great stories for next week. I'll just finish with this thought: Who are you? I'd engourage each of you to consider this question.  Do you know who you are? Who do you think you are? and Who do you want to be? I have learned here on my mission that I am not who I thought I was. I thought I would be "Tommy Williams who is serving a mission" but I now know that I am "Elder Williams, a son of God, and a representative of God, Jesus Christ, and their Gospel here on the earth" I am not here for myself. I am not here to learn spanish. I am here to bring people to Christ. Finally, I am not a representative of the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I am a representative of God and Jesus.
 
I love the work
I am alive and happy
I still like ice cream
but I am a MISSIONARY!
 
Boo-yah!
 
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment